NATURE OF WORK
We sow the SEED for the upliftment of people who are Socially, Educationally and Economically downtrodden sections of our society.
In particular, we bring change into the lives of children of life prisoners, victims of serious crimes like murder and leprosy patients, so that, they, in turn, may not become criminals through apprenticeship in juvenile delinquency and beggars as a reaction to the Social hostility they may face.
SCOPE OF ACTIVITIES
Total care of children of Life Serving Life Prisoners, Leprosy Patients and other destitute children.
- Children of Life Prisoners, imprisoned for murder case.
- Children of Leprosy Patients, begging in the Streets and migrating from one place to another place which includes Bombay, Delhi & Nepal.
- Children of the patients, affected by prolonged illness and dreadful diseases such as Cancer, Tuberculosis, etc.
- Destitute children who have lots their parents due to Dowry problem, etc, and who have no means of livelihood.
- Children of Victims of serious crimes like murder.
community participation and methods of community action adopted
The interest and involvement of many well-wishers, our local communities and various organisations in our projects, indicate to us that – by our work, we have made an impact on our society.
- The project site at Sriperumbudur was donated by Dr.N. M. Parthasarty and Mr. Dharam Chand Jain from the local community
- The Industrial Training Centre project site at Irungattukottai was funded by Canara Bank Platinum Jubile Rural development Trust
- The Land at Utkottai for the High School Project was bought with the help of OXFAM ( INDIA ) TRUST and Rev.P. Ceyrac S.J.
- The Community provides unused and unexpired medicines, multivitamin tablets and tonics either individually or through organizations.
- Health checkups of SEED and other local children are conducted periodically by local clubs, the Sri. Ramachandra Medical College & Hospital.
- The local community provides one- time meal to all the children of SEED by contributing one handful of rice/wheat. (in the container kept for this purpose in the respective Households provided by RAJASTHAN YOUTH ASSOCIATION ). This is then collected by Rajasthan Youth Association ( RYA ) on monthly basis from each house and handed over to us. This amounts to approximately 300 Kgs. Of rice and 200 Kgs of wheat.
- Some members of the community celebrate the birthday of their children or their Marriage Day at SEED.
- The community has also helped provide drinking water, drainage and electricity facilities.
- Contribution are often received for the purchase of books and note books at the beginning of each academic year.
- The community donates uniforms and old clothes for the children.
- Dedicated youngsters from the local community and also from the reputed industries such as DELPHI-TVS help the students of SEED Schools by conducting tutorial classes during non-school hours.
- To provide training in printing, the Canara Bank has donated a printing press.
- Training in Computer Technology is provided to the children by our trained staff.
- Seeing the work done in the SEED campus, quite a few well-wishers have come forward to act as representatives of SEED in each district of Tamilnadu. They function as a bridge between SEED and Prisoner/Leprosy Patients Community and nominate children for care by the SEED.
- Convinced by the objective of the SEED and the excellent work done, OXFAM and ACTION AID, German Leprosy Relief Association, Misereor and ASMAE came forward to associate themselves with SEED.
- In tailoring, women from the surrounding village (SCS) participated. 50 women from 3 blocks namely Poonamallee, Sriperumbudur and Walajabad in the Kancheepuram Dist. took part in the workshop on Simple Chemicals and Mushroom Cultivation. They came as far away as 40 Kms from our campus without having proper mode of conveyance. A point to be noted is that the Participants in the above workshop belong to the scheduled caste (SCS) had never venture out of their house previously.
- Without any publicity our Special Industrial Training Institute attracts the needy poor children of the State. Apart from the children of “ SEED “, who studied in SEED from I st. Std. To X std., destitute, deserted, abandoned and socially disadvantaged children have come from various parts of the State to avail the benefit of this Special I.T.I.
- Some of the drug addicts of the surrounding villages have changed their drinking habits and chosen a new path after witnessing a street play of our children “ EVILS OF ALCOHOL DRINKING”.
- Due to the advice given in person or through letters by their children staying in SEED, parents ( Life Prisoners ) have felt sorry for their act of murder.
- Parents ( Leprosy Patients ), now, are slowly changing their way of living from begging to honest job, even though it is a small one, due to the change in their children’s behaviour and advice given by their children.